Friday, May 3, 2013

I'm In Love! (No,Not With the UPS Man)

Today, my cute UPS man brought me this little present:

Yes!  It's a Singer Stylist 7258.   I did a LOT of research before I bought this machine.  My dream machine is a Janome 6600 but it's in the price range of $1500, so I'll need to save a little more for that one.  In the interim, I needed a compromise.  There were a few features that were "must-haves" and this one had all but one of those.  I wanted a self-threading needle (the eyes aren't gettin' any younger), a "needle-down" button, and at least 60 decorative stitches.  This machine has these, plus a speed control lever and a "start-stop" button that allows you to sew without the foot pedal.  PEOPLE, this machine practically sews all by itself!  I can set it up for a special stitch and almost walk away while it does it's thang!  It has 100 decorative stitches.  This is a computerized machine, the first one I've had, so we'll see how it does after a month of daily use.  The one thing I really wanted was drop feed for the feed dogs, but it has a darning plate, so that was the biggest compromise.  There were other machines in the price range that had this feature, but the reviews were very mixed.

This is the machine I've been using, a Singer 1525 mechanical:



 I bought this at Wally World (Wal-Mart) about five years ago.  As a basic machine, it's been really good.  It's gotten a lot of use and I've never had to have it repaired.  I think I paid something like $89.  Unbelievable.

When I first got married, my parents bought me a Singer Touch and Sew:



I sewed a lot of baby clothes on that!  Then a salesman convinced me a Newhome was a better machine (and it was) and I sewed on this for about 25 years:





I think my kids will remember this one.  I made my oldest daughter's prom dress on this machine.  From baby clothes to prom, this one did it all.  When it died, I wish I had insisted on it being repaired, but, you know, NEW MACHINE!  WANT!  I didn't even give it a decent burial.  Sniff.

But the Singer Stylist is rocking my world right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment and please keep it clean!